Benefits of Seachem Matrix
Seachem Matrix comprises highly-porous biomedia that promotes efficient bio filtration in the aquarium.
With efficient bio-filtration process, nitrogenous wastes are quickly removed naturally by denitrifying bacteria that break down these nitrogenous compounds.
Seachem Matrix ensures that toxins are neutralised promptly so that aquarium water remains safe for fishes, corals and plants at all times.
- High capacity biofiltration
- Controls ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate
- Highly porous. Extremely large surface area.
- Supports aerobic and anaerobic denitrifying bacteria
- No filter bag is required
- Will not breakdown (a permanent media)
- Can be washed
Permanent Bio Filter Media
Seachem Matrix is completely inert and will not breakdown. Hence, you will never lose filtration capacity, and you will never need to replace them.
The only time you need to add more Seachem Matrix is when you need to increase the biofiltration capacity due to an increase in aquatic creatures that cause a rise in nitrogenous wastes, or when you have upgraded to a larger tank. Other than that, Seachem Matrix need not be replaced.
Since the majority of the bacteria are internal, Seachem Matrix may be rinsed whenever needed without damaging the filter.
Seachem Matrix is:
- Porous inorganic solid
- Completely inert and will not breakdown
- Each bio media is about 10 mm in diameter
- 1 liter of Seachem Matrix provides as much surface area (approx > 700 m2) as 170 liters of plastic balls!
Seachem Matrix vs Plastic Bio
Plastic bio-materials provide only external surface area, whereas Seachem Matrix provides both external and internal macroporous surface area.
These macropores are ideally sized for the support of nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria.
This allows Seachem Matrix, unlike other forms of biomedia, to remove nitrate along with ammonia and nitrite, simultaneously and in the same filter.
- Use 250 mL of Seachem Matrix for each 200 L (50 US gallons) of water. See packaging instructions for exact details.
- Seachem Matrix may be placed in any kind of filter, but is particularly effective in a canister filter.
- Seachem Matrix is sufficiently large that no filter bag should be required for most applications.
- Seachem Matrix works well in drip tray systems, but you may find that the larger Pond Seachem Matrix is better suited for such applications.
- Use with Stability to more rapidly establish the bio-filter.