The Salifert Ammonia Test Kit is sufficient for 50 tests.
Ammonia and ammonium are substances which should be converted rapidly into nitrite, followed by nitrate and nitrogen gas. If this does not happen, then the aquarium is not fully cycled or biological processes are not proceeding as they should.
The Salifert Ammonia test is very straight forward and measures the sum of toxic ammonia and ammonium in just a few minutes. This test kit has two reagent bottles, a test cylinder and measuring syringe. The color chart scale will read ammonia levels as low as 0.25 PPM (mg/L). Care should be taken to avoid contact with the reagents.
The ammonia test can be used for both marine and fresh water.
- With 2 ml syringe, add 2 ml of water in the test vial.
- Fill the 1 ml syringe with 1.00 ml NH3 reagent.
- Add 0.5 ml to the test vial and swirl gently for 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining 0.5 ml to the test vial and swirl gently for 30 seconds.
- Allow to stand for 3 minutes.
- Swirl the test vial gently for 5 seconds. Hold the test vial in front of you and look through the side of the test vial. Keep the color chart behind the test vial. Ensure that a white piece of the color chart is behind the liquid layer. The values on the color chart are in mg/L total ammonia.